Saturday, October 25, 2008

Single owner who splashes out on style

Source : Straits Times - 25 Oct 2008

THE metal gate at the entrance of the three-room HDB flat in Bedok North is a head-turner. Obviously custom-made, its wrought iron grilles have been shaped to spell the owner’s middle name across the top.

The gate cost Mr Ho Weng Kay $500, but the 39-year-old bank manager feels it is money well spent. After all, it is his first home.

‘Throughout my adult life, I was looking forward to turning 35 so I could finally buy my own flat,’ he says.

When he did, it took him a couple of years before he decided on the 893 sq ft unit, which cost him $205,000 and is just one block away from his parents, who are retirees.

‘I had become so used to my surroundings, living in a three-room HDB flat with my parents, that I wanted something similar when I moved out.’

He moved in last year, but not before splurging $60,000 on renovations and furniture.

He came up with the design concept himself, and got his brother, a renovation contractor, to realise it for him.

The view from his eighth-storey flat looks out onto an expanse of green open spaces, with a basketball court and playground below.

Among other things, the cooking enthusiast had a shelf made just to display his collection of vodka bottles, and a chalkboard to write down cooking ingredients - just like a restaurant.

‘As I get older, I like spending more time at home and having friends over for dinner and drinks,’ he adds. ‘So the size of this home, for a single like me, is perfect.’

Although he wished he could have moved out sooner, Mr Ho says the good thing about waiting until 35 is having enough savings.

‘I could have bought a private unit before 35 but that would have been a stretch. I’m quite glad I didn’t need to borrow a lot of money to buy this flat,’ he adds.

‘Nothing beats having your own home. It’s better late than never.’


No comments: