Sunday, October 11, 2009

Divorced and can’t afford a flat


Source : Sunday Times – 11 Oct 2009

The report, ‘Flat-hunters feeling COV pinch’ (Sept13), was demoralising.

I have been looking for a flat for more than two years. Even in the economic downturn, the prices of flats have been constantly increasing.

I bought a flat with my former husband about five years ago. It cost about $380,000 then but now, the price of a flat of similar size is about $100,000 more.

I had to relinquish the flat to him as I was unable to maintain the place at that time.

I am sure there are many divorcees like me who have children to provide for and are in need of a home but find it difficult to get one.

My children and I have only a temporary home – a room. We fall into the category of people who are ineligible for housing assistance but who cannot do without it.

I have viewed many flats in the past two years, and applied for HDB loans twice but was rejected, even after seeking help from an MP.

I tried to apply for a flat from the HDB under the half-yearly sale exercise but was unsuccessful; I have also inquired about renting a flat from the HDB, but was told I was ineligible.

An HDB officer wrote to inform me that my only option was to buy a flat from the open market using a bank loan.

To do that, based on the market now, I would have to have cash of at least $50,000, a sum that is impossible to raise given my salary.

I have spoken to a few agents over the past two years, but none of them could find me a place that suits my needs.

I do not know if there are organisations that can help someone like me.

I am applying again for an HDB flat under the Sales of Balance Flats scheme to try my luck.

Norliah Abu (Ms)


No comments: