Saturday, April 4, 2009

Doubts about real estate industry’s ability to self-regulate


Source : Straits Times - 4 Apr 2009

THE comments of Mr Peter Koh, chairman of the executive committee of the Singapore Accredited Estate Agencies (SAEA), in the letter “Real estate agencies fully back govt review” (March 30), are certainly incongruous with both the situation in the industry and my unpleasant experience with a few property agencies under its scheme.

Since December, I have been receiving nuisance calls from agents, the majority from PropNex and HSR. To stop these calls which were made to my residential line and severely invaded my privacy, I had contacted these agencies to request that I be taken off their mailing and contact lists. They gave me the nonchalant reply that the calls and mailers were telemarketing efforts by their agents over whom they had no control.

At my wits’ end, I then contacted the SAEA and asked it to compel these agencies to act. More than a month has passed since an e-mail message was sent to PropNex and I have not received a response to my complaint.

To date, I am still receiving nuisance calls from property agents, the last being from DTZ, whose agent showed no remorse and told me that such telemarketing calls were normal when I asked what gave her the right to call my residential line.

If the SAEA is unable to solve my problem, I have serious doubts about the effectiveness of its accreditation scheme and the ability of the real estate industry to self-regulate.

Bryan Ong


No comments: